Forest Restoration & Wildfire Risk Mitigation
Defensible space in a Castle Rock community funded through the FRWRM grant program
Forest Restoration & Wildfire Risk Mitigation Grant Program
Note: The application period for 2023 funds is closed. Awards will be announced by March 31, 2023.
The Colorado Legislature established the Forest Restoration & Wildfire Risk Mitigation (FRWRM) Grant Program in 2017. This program provides state support through competitive grant funds that encourage community-level actions across the state for some specific purposes:
- Reduce the risk of wildfire to people, property and infrastructure in the wildland-urban interface (WUI)
- Promote forest health and forest restoration projects
- Encourage use of woody material for traditional forest products and biomass energy
How much money is available for the FRWRM grant program in 2023?
The Colorado State Forest Service has approximately $15 million available. There are no minimum or maximum amounts for each award.
Who can apply for this funding?
The following individuals, organizations or entities may apply:
- Local community groups, including registered homeowner associations and formal neighborhood associations, that are located within or are in close proximity to the WUI
- Local government entities including counties, municipalities, fire protection districts and other special districts in or within close proximity to the WUI
- Public or private utilities, including water providers, with infrastructure or land ownership in areas with high risk of catastrophic wildfires
- State agencies, such as the State Land Board and Colorado Parks and Wildlife, that own land in areas with high risk of catastrophic wildfires
- Non-profit groups that promote hazardous forest fuel reduction treatment projects or are engaged in firefighting or fire management activities
NOTE: Projects that benefit only one individual do NOT qualify.
What can the funding be used for?
More information will be provided in the formal Request for Applications. Previous projects awards have provided funding for capacity and fuels and forest health treatments. It’s important to note that funds can be used for forest restoration, but funds cannot be used for post-fire rehabilitation activities.
When can groups apply for the funding?
Application period is August 17 – Oct. 19, 2022.
When will funds be received?
Awards will be made by March 31, 2023.
Who can answer questions/provide assistance in the application process?
Interested applicants should contact their local CSFS Field Office.
Legislation during the 2021 Colorado legislative session provided additional funding and an expanded scope for the program. Applications and requirements have changed from previous years, so we encourage applicants to thoroughly review documents and contact their local Colorado State Forest Service field office with questions.