Alamosa’s forest management programs provide a variety of services to Colorado landowners in the San Luis Valley, including Alamosa, Conejos, Costillo, Mineral, Rio Grande and Saguache counties.
Alamosa Field Office – Forest Management & Stewardship
Forestry in the San Luis Valley
At the Alamosa Field Office, we are dedicated to providing quality assistance to landowners in the San Luis Valley by helping them achieve their resource management goals. Our goal is to help you enhance, protect and manage your forest property for optimum health now and for future generations.
As a Colorado landowner, you can enhance the value of your forestland by being dedicated and concerned about forest management issues and wildfire. Managing your land will not only increase the value and health of your resource, but will also enhance and protect wildlife habitat, soil and water quality, and ecological diversity.
- Conservation tree planting plans
- Seedling tree planting and advice
- Defensible space advice
- “Sick tree” calls — site visits- individuals and large- and small-acreage properties
- Insect and disease surveys and detection
- Fuels reduction and modification to reduce wildfire hazards
- Forest management plans
- Thinning projects for forest health and restoration
- Forest stewardship plans
- Advice and assistance in coordinating forest contractors and consultants
- Public education and dispersal of information
- Seminars and workshops for communities, subdivisions, and Homeowner Associations
Forest Product Sales
The CSFS helps manage forest product sales on private and state lands. Types of products available at these sales include firewood, posts and poles, products other than logs (POL), and saw logs. When we have sales available for purchase, interested bidders can view our announcements on the CSFS Forest Products page.
Good Neighbor Authority
The Alamosa Field Office partners with the U.S. Forest Service Rio Grande National Forest to offer small timber sales in select locations on the Rio Grande National Forest.