Frequently Asked Questions

What's the weather like up there in the Colorado State Forest?

Click here to access the Walden weather station or visit the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association's weather site for up-to-date information for North Park.

What are the road conditions like around the Colorado State Forest?

The Colorado Department of Transportation's website has current information on road conditions.

Do I need a permit to cut firewood?

Yes, a permit is required. Click here for more information.

Are there any restrictions on campfires within the Colorado State Forest?

Click here for current fire restrictions.

What is the State Land Board's role on the Colorado State Forest?

Although the CSFS and Colorado State Parks provide most of the on-site management for the CSF, it is a state trust property administered by the SLB.

The State Land Board is a five-person board charged with managing Colorado's State Trust Lands. The Board is a trustee for state trust lands and has a fiduciary responsibility to its beneficiaries. In the case of the School Trust, the responsibility is to K-12 public schools in Colorado.

The Colorado State Forest is administered from the Northwest District Office of the SLB in Craig, Colo. For more information, visit the SLB website.

Can I cut a Christmas Tree on the state forest?

The U.S. Forest Service sells U-cut Christmas Tree Permits. Permits are $10 and are also available at the Corkle's mini-mart/Texaco Station in Walden. For more information, contact your local USFS office or visit the North Park Ranger District in Walden. Hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Monday - Friday). They can be reached at (970) 723-8204.