The Colorado State Forest Service Southwest Area
Our Activities Include:
- Tree Watering Necessary During Drought Conditions – June 22, 2020
- Baca Grande POA Earns National Recognition for Wildfire Preparedness (100 KB PDF) – Feb. 13, 2020
- Pagosa Springs Family Receives Tree Farmer of the Year Award for Second Time – Sept. 13, 2019
- Crested Butte Managing Mountain Pine Beetle Infestation – April 16, 2019
- CSFS Foresters Recognized by USFS for ‘Delivering Benefits to the Public’ – April 12, 2019
Southwest Area Profile
- 15.7 million acres
- 1.9 million private forested acres
- 123,000 approved stewardship acres
Adam Moore, Communication & Communities Supervisory Forester – Based in the Alamosa Field Office. Oversees the Salida Field Office. Supervises urban and community forestry; advises on tree selection/planting/care; provides forestry education for youth; promotes forest health utilizing multiple channels and techniques for marketing, outreach, education and external communications; helps communities with Community Wildfire Protection Plans.
Mark Loveall, Forest Planning & Implementation Supervisory Forester – Based in the Durango Field Office. Supervises forest management programs that include Colorado State Trust Land, forest stewardship (which includes the Forest Ag program) and the American Tree Farm program.
Jodi Rist, Forest Planning & Implementation Supervisory Forester – Based in the Montrose Field Office. Supervises forest management programs that include Firewise USA®, fire/fuels/forested watershed management, and Good Neighbor Authority projects on U.S. Forest Service land.
Sam Pankratz, Science & Data Supervisory Forester – Based in the Gunnison Field Office. Duties are to inform decision-making based on science and data; keep current on industry-related research; and communicate applied forestry science and data needs, which includes GIS, insect and disease detection and advising, forest inventory and analysis, research and education. Oversees Southwest Area conservation seedling program.
Southwest Area Field Offices
|Alamosa||P.O. Box 1137
129-A Santa Fe
Alamosa, CO 81101-1137
FAX (719) 587-0916
1000 Rim Drive
Fort Lewis College Campus
Durango, CO 81301-3908
FAX (970) 247-5252
|Gunnison||PO Box 1390
Mountain Meadows Research Center
106 Maintenance Drive
Gunnison, CO 81230
FAX (970) 641-0653
|Montrose||535 South Nevada Ave.
Montrose, CO 81401
|Salida||7980 West Highway 50
Salida, CO 81201-9571
FAX (719) 539-2570